Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Journal Post: Food: Salchipapa and Pollo a la Brasa

As the people (Joe) demand, so I deliver.
Today, I was busy with work and I helped my bosses, Hermano Hale and Hermano Nuñez, locate and purchase HD camcorder in one of my favorite places ever, the Avelino. Why do I love the Avelino you ask? Well, because you can buy tons of different things there for cheap. I haggled like a son of a gun and got the guy to knock off about $50, which was good. Anywho, food. Salchipapas are french fries with sliced hot dog. As gross as hot dogs used to be to me, I have to tell you, Yummy. Seriously, I began my mission dreading this dish, but not I am all for it. First, you slather it with mustard, ketchup, AND mayo. Then you dribble on some aji- Which I will describe another day. Wash this all down with a glass of Chicha Morada (a purple drink made by boiling purple corn and taking that water and adding tons of sugar and lemon juice), and you have got yourself a meal.(On a side note, I used to hate Chicha Morada aswell). Something good to know about Chicha Morada: It looks similar to Chicha de Jora, which is alcholic and also served in some restaurants free. So be sure which one your getting. Pollo a la Brasa gets the same condiment treatment, but is similar to the whole chickens you could buy at Smiths or Macey´s to eat. But even better. It is generally sold by forths, and you can ask for Breast (Pecho), Leg (Pierna),and Muslo (Thigh). I like the breast, most meat and easiest to get off the bone. Oddly enough, the skin is very salty and quite good. This are the most common fair to be found in a Polleria (literally, chicken store). I love it, but you should space out these dishes because if you eat it 3 or 4 times a week (as I have), than it starts getting old.

3 comments:

  1. i'm going to be obsessed with your blog/your life in Peru. Just a warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you had French fries and hot dog with, basically, "fry sauce". Chicha Morada sounds interesting though. Also, Chicha de jora sounds like a bargain. While we both know I do not condone drinking alcoholic beverages of any sort, I also think letting free stuff go to waste is a shame. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol... Hermano. Who is this Hermano guy?

    ReplyDelete