Thursday, February 18, 2010

Candelaria Cont.- Bells and Ribbons.


As a guy who is new to dancing Saya, I didn't know what to do about the bells (cascaveles) that are attached to the boots. I asked one of the guides (the people who dance in front of the group that order which sequence etc) what to do for the attaching string. He suggested ilera (shoe strings). Well, his suggestion sucked and I lost about 8 out of my 24 bells. The next day, I thought I was brilliant and bought some heavy coated wire to attach each bell. Well, I was even more foolish than the day before because I lost a LOT of bells. In fact, I only had one attached at the end and about 6 that I had recovered as they fell and stuffed down my shirt. I had a stomach that jingled for several blocks of the dance unfortunately. It was Tio Walker (Uncle Walker) who knew what was up. Upon hearing my plight, he suggested fishing line. I thought this was silly, but I went and bought a heavy test and wrapped about 10 loopes for each boot. In addition, I put electrical tape on the eye of every single bell. Guess what? It worked, I didn't lose a single bell. I have to laugh because the first day I put on 24 bells, the second, 20, and on the last day, 16. I was losing faith and getting tired of spending 60 plus cents a bell. (I was buying the nice ones because I was keeping my suit.)In any event, now I know, and so do you. Fishing line. That's the ticket.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't keep your suit. I will pay you ten dollars if you burn it.

    ReplyDelete