Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Journal Post: Christmas.


Copied from notes around the 25th of December 2009.

What do you do for Christmas dinner? Turkey of course, at least here in Peru. Turkey everywhere. For us in the USA, Turkey is a Thanksgiving food, and ham or something else better suited for Christmas. But hey, here there is no Thanksgiving (that would be silly), so the big turkey meal is on Christmas. Basically, Christmas goes thusly: the 24th, there is a big meal around midnight. The kids open the presents. The talking and the family socializing goes on till the wee hours. And drinking of course.
In difference to our going to bed, and then getting up early to open gifts and than eating a large lunch or dinner the 25th.
For my Christmas experience, I got to go to both of my wife's family get togethers (her parents are divorced). There was lots of food, conversation and such. I was given some cologne, and a tie. I thought it was snazzy. We didn't get back from the second one until 4 in the morning.
More on the turkey, it came in with it's head attached. There was a strange stuffing made out of meat, and the accompanying salad was some beans called avas. That was the meal, and I enjoyed it. Although, they (my mother in law) tried to kill me with a colossal portion of turkey.

2 comments:

  1. I prefer my turkey sans head, and no gizzard stuffing, but that is just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know if you've tried the other, other, other white meat - guinea pig? In other news, Al's Foodtown now has froglegs at the deli on Fridays. i have eaten them several times and I like them. Milder than chicken, chewy like rabbit, better than lizard (I bet). PapaFos

    ReplyDelete