Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Journal Post: Son of Beach!


I've always loved the ocean. Maybe it's because I live in a land locked state, maybe it's because of the warm fuzzy memories of traveling to faraway exotic Chile when I was 8. Who knows, but this last weekend, I was having all the fun in the sun that I could stand. In fact, I am Red Lobster.In any event, I am going to bullet point some of the slide show for you.

First part: This is Mollendo, a beach and the closest ocean to Arequipa. (That and Camana, but I no nothing about that place.) The yellow building is the "Castillo", and it is cool but the wank who owns it lives somewhere and won't sell it to the city so it is in ruin and one day will fall. But it is well known as an icon of Mollendo and I have fond memories of seeing it as a missionary.

The beach is crowded, because it's summer vacation here.

The waves are for Joe, I was thinking he would enjoy all those pics.

There is a dog peeing on a tent, I just found that amusing.

There is me in the sand all burntastic.

There is my Hasselhoff run picture that I wanted to post, but Malu cut off my head and foot (in the picture, not literally), so you get red guy running.

There is a picture of a tiny crab, almost an awesome picture if I had focused it a centimeter farther back, ah well.

I have a scorpion tattoo, it's fake. I was playing around, there were bear claws on my little brother in law and a Chinese word on my wife. We were being silly.

I love listening to music on the beach. Relaxing stuff.

There is a guy with two buckets. Quick crash course for the beach in Peru. You show up at the beach, and then you find somebody to rent an umbrella from(if you don't have your own). This costs between 5 and 10 soles for the day. Then, you get chairs (often from the same people, you can also buy beer from them... of course). This can be 2 for 5 soles or 2 for 7 soles depending on where and what day (weekends cost more). Now, while on the beach, the waves of Mollendo are crappy and kind of dangerous, so you must be cautious swimming. While relaxing on the sand, you might buy an helado (ice-cream)from a passing vendor. Also available are picarones(batter rings in honey), alfajores (yummy pastry types with manjar) and a myriad of other edible things. You can even get seafood and it's really good. Even the ceviche, which I ate and guess what, http://peaksandpitfallsinperu.blogspot.com /2010/01/journal-post-diarrhea.html ... yep.
Anywho, the guy with the two buckets. Those buckets are full of sea water. He got that water from the sea... obviously, and he drug them across the burning sand to fill the small pool that he rented to the couple and the munchkin seated there. There is a picture of Malu and here cousins in such a pool.
This job would suck. All day, bucket brigade for little brats. I saw the guy and felt for him. There are also people that sell bubbles, inflatable toys, sand toys, newspapers, and sunblock wandering around. So there you go, I'm fried.

Also, The song I used for the slide show is Ben Harper/ Jack Johnson's cover of Bob Marely's "High Tide, Low Tide".

3 comments:

  1. cool tunes. nice montage, except those ten minutes of (I can only assume) Malu's mom and little bro frolicking. I could have done with one shot, not 70.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a time lapse picture of a wave breaking. No family was involved. Don't be a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the wave breaking, thank you. I also enjoyed the look on your face where Malu's brother is trying to climb on your back. Also, I found the dog peeing on the tent amusing as well.

    ReplyDelete