Monday, February 1, 2010

Journal Post: Observation #4 Coca Cola

Here in Peru and also Chile, the non alcoholic beverage of choice is Coca Cola. I have drank Coke almost every day I've been here. I don't even like Coke. Luckily, the Coke here tastes better for some reason. I don't know why, but I have heard it is because of a difference in the water. This I don't believe. I have also heard it is because here they use real sugar as sweetener as opposed to corn syrup. This I do believe. But whatever the reason, they like their Coke, and drink it warm. Also Fanta, Sprite, and other assorted coke products. Thankfully, there is basically no Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb, which I hate. Also, not too much by way of Pepsi products either. (So no Mt. Dew, sadly). I haven't been a big soda drinker since the mission, but now and then, you need something caffeinated. There are some sodas here, however, that aren't common in the States. Inca Cola, for example. It is yellow, and not that good (in my opinion, I know plenty of folks, Latin and otherwise, that quite like it). Also, a red pop called, Kola Escoses (Scottish Cola?) It is also not that great.
In general, I suggest you look into Tampico, Watts, or Frugo brand juices. They are delicious and are generally as cheap as soda.
While we are discussing beverages, there is a delightful drink called ECCO made from cebada tostada (toasted barley) which tastes a bit like coffee (from my iniquitous youth). It's ok as "refresco" (refreshing drink? basically anything made in house to quench thirst: lemonade, chicha morada, etc.) which is warm or cool and usually involves a dash of lemon. But ECCO really shines as a hot drink with sugar and milk (but not too much milk, and we know why).
Other good things are raspadillas (shaved ice), cremoladas (fruit pulp with ice), and any fruit drink with milk. (But be careful)Leche de Platano is awesome, but if you don't drink it quickly, it will turn black on you, which is kind of nasty.
I could use a slurpie from 7-11 though. And a taquito.
Anywho, there is a demo of the drink. Also, there are still lots of glass bottles in rotation, which is something of a novelty from what I recall of the States.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, can you bring me back some Ecco? and some coca mate? Your efforts will be compensated.. PS when are you coming back? You are missing some good skiing

    ReplyDelete