Friday, April 16, 2010

Journal Post: Deja Vu and Helping the Missionaries


Well, it finally happened: I accompanied the missionaries to help out the great work. I have been trying to do this since I got here, appearently, the missionaries aren´t as hard up for help as they were in my day. I actually went with them twice, Elder Pacaya and Elder... I forget the other´s name. The first night I was left hanging at the meeting place for 45 minutes before I went to find them in their house. Typical, they´d been detained in some backward corner of the area and hadn´t been able to make it on time, they had called ahead, fortunately, so that when I arrived at their house I was told to wait. Elder Pacaya is from Lima and Elder ... is from Chiclayo. (Strange that I should remember where he´s from, yet not his name). Anyway, we did go the the appointment, and as is typical, it fell through. We then wandered around the dark streets (it was 8 pm) and contacted a few people.
What was most strange about this experience of last week, was that this used to be my area and I used to be the missionary. It was weird.

Fast forward to last Saturday, (the day of the crazy munchkin invasion involving a clown if yoú´ll recall). I ran into an old investigator I´d been thinking about lately named Juan. Juan´s a good kid who studies law and fancies himself a bit of an intellectual, which is fine by me. Juan also speaks English, which was handy when I first met him two years ago because I was in the midst of training a brand new Gringo Greenie from Idaho named Sean Poole. Poole was one of my favorite companions ever, but as we all did, he suffered with the language when he first got here. Well, we taught Juan in English (which was trippy in it´s own right at the time), and he progressed. Alas, I had to leave and he stopped progressing at some point.

So... I saw him on the combi, and I chatted him up and got his address and phone number. I made an appointment, and Sunday made plans with the missionaries to go visit him.
Here´s where things took a twist. I was informed that the Zone (that´s an area of various missionary companionships for those who aren´t LDS) was going to come and do contacts in the area that afternoon. I generously (I thought so anyway, or perhaps gallantly) volunteered to help out and then go to the appointment with Juan. Turns out, the missionaries of my area are a touch nutty and they foisted me off on another companionship. One was 27 years old from Lima and the other was 19 from Orem UT. Quite a contrast. After a bizarre contact/lesson in the doorway of a humble home with a lady whose son yelled that he needed to go #2 the entire time, I treated us to some water. Later, I guided us to a member home where we collected a reference (remember, this isn´t their area- of the missionaries) and went to contact it.
A few funny things I recalled about door to door contacting:
*Not a good idea around 2 PM.
*Dogs on Roofs, all over the place. The houses are cement, flat roofed, and most people have dogs.

*You never know which door to knock, and nor which bell to ring. Sometimes yuo ring one bell, and someone comes out on the other street around the corner, it´s bizarre.
*The afternoon sun is merciless. I figure that the most saved souls lived on the shady side of the street.
*People who own stores can´t escape, but that doesn´t mean they give a fig about the church.
*Sometimes people when asked about which religion the follow they say, "None. Er, I mean, I´m Catholic." Ha ha ha, nice try.
*People (especially older people) feel the need to bring out their J-Dub (Jehovah´s Witness) literature as if to show that they have alreay had their ticket marked.I had quite a collection of the "Atalaya" (Watchtower, a J-Dub magazine) going back when I was a missionary.
At this point, it was Juan time and so we went and visited him. He´s exactly as I remember him and hope that the actual missionaries of this area can help him a bit further along the path. The lesson was a bit discombobulated due to the fact that the old guy missinoary decided to wax dramatic and also because they knew they´d likey never see this kid again. On a high note, his mom gave us some yummy orange flavered creamy geletin stuff so I chaulk it up as a good lesson. I´d skipped lunch for these fun times so after that, we parted ways and I high tailed it to the house for some food.
This happened yesterday, and by the way, I remembered the other Elder´s name- Elder Camasca.

Bueno, finalmente ha ocurrido: me acompañó a los misioneros para ayudar a la gran obra. He estado tratando de hacer esto desde que llegué aquí, aparente orden, los misioneros no son tan difíciles para recibir ayuda como lo fueron en mi día. De hecho, me fui con ellos dos veces, de Pacaya Elder y Elder ... Se me olvida el nombre del otro. La primera noche me quedé en el aire en el lugar de encuentro de 45 minutos antes de ir a encontrarlos en su casa. Típica, que habían sido detenidos en algún rincón de la zona de atrás y no había podido llegar a tiempo, habían llamado antes, afortunadamente, de manera que cuando llegué a su casa me dijo que esperara. Elder Pacaya es de Lima y ancianos ... es de Chiclayo. (Es extraño que no lo olvidaría de dónde es, aún no su nombre). De todas formas, fue a la cita, y como es típico, que fracasó. Luego vagó por las calles oscuras (era de 8 horas) y se contactó con algunas personas.
Lo más extraño de esta experiencia de la semana pasada, fue que esta era mi área y yo solía ser el misionero. Era extraño.
Un avance rápido hasta el sábado pasado, (el día de la invasión de enanos loco participación de un payaso, si recuerdan you'll). Me encontré con un investigador de edad que había estado pensando últimamente llamado Juan. Juan'sa buen chico que estudia derecho y se cree un poco de un intelectual, lo cual está bien por mí. Juan también habla Inglés, que estaba a mano cuando lo conocí hace dos años porque estaba en medio de la formación de una nueva marca Greenie gringo de Idaho llamado Sean Poole. Poole fue uno de mis compañeros favorito de siempre, pero como todos lo hicimos, que sufrió con el idioma cuando llegó aquí. Bueno, nos enseñó Juan en Inglés (que fue trippy en ella por derecho propio a la hora), y avanzó que él. Por desgracia, tuve que salir y dejó de progresar en algún momento. Así que ... Yo lo vi en la combi, y yo le conversaba y consiguió su dirección y número de teléfono. Hice una cita, y el domingo hizo planes con los misioneros para ir a visitarlo.

Aquí es donde las cosas tomaron un giro. Se me informó que la Zona (que es un área de varios compañerismos misioneros para aquellos que no son SUD) iba a venir y hacer contactos en el área de la tarde. Yo generosamente (Ya me lo imaginaba todos modos, o quizás galante) se ofreció a ayudar y luego ir a la cita con Juan. Resulta que los misioneros de mi zona son un toque de nuez y me impuesta parte en una nueva compañía. Uno tenía 27 años de Lima y el otro tenía 19 años de Orem UT. Todo un contraste. Después de un contacto bizarro, clase en la puerta de un hogar humilde con una señora cuyo hijo gritó que tenía que ir # 2 todo el tiempo, que nos trató con un poco de agua. Más tarde, nos guió a un miembro de origen, donde hemos recopilado una referencia (recuerde, esto no es su área-de los misioneros) y se fue a contactar con ella.
A pocas cosas divertidas que la recuperación de unos puerta a puerta en contacto con:
* No es una buena idea en torno a las 2 PM.
Los perros en las azoteas, por todas partes. Las casas son de cemento, techos planos, y la mayoría de la gente tiene perros.
* Nunca se sabe qué puerta llamar, y ni que sonara el timbre. A veces un anillo de campana, y alguien viene a la calle otra vuelta de la esquina, es extraño.
* El sol de la tarde es despiadado. Me imagino que las almas más guardado vivía en el lado sombreado de la calle.
* Las personas que poseen las tiendas no pueden escapar, pero eso no significa que ellos dan una figura de la iglesia.

* A veces la gente cuando se le preguntó acerca de que la religión el seguimiento dicen: "Ninguna. Er, quiero decir, yo soy católico". Ja ja ja, buen intento.
* Personas (especialmente la gente mayor) se siente la necesidad de llevar a cabo sus J-Dub (Testigos de Jehová) la literatura, como para demostrar que han tenido su alreay marked.I boleto tenía una colección de la "Atalaya" (La Atalaya, una revista J-Dub) que se remonta cuando yo era un misionero.

En este punto, que era el momento Juan y por lo que fue y lo visitó. Es exactamente como lo recuerdo y la esperanza de que los misioneros real de esta área le puede ayudar un poco más a lo largo del camino. La lección fue un poco discombobulated debido al hecho de que el viejo missinoary decidió cera dramática y también porque sabían que había nunca likey ver este niño otra vez. En una nota alta, su mamá nos dio algunas de naranja delicioso flavered cosas geletin cremosa así que lo doy como una buena lección. Había saltado el almuerzo para estos tiempos tan divertido después de eso, nos separamos y yo alta cola a la casa para comer algo.
Esto sucedió ayer, y por cierto, me acordé de la otra el nombre de Elder-Elder Camasca.

1 comment:

  1. They probably gave you to the guy from Orem because the old guy drove him nuts

    ReplyDelete