Saturday, April 24, 2010

Journal Post: Last Observations, Thumbs up and thumbs down for Peru

I went on a trip, rather hastily, to Ilo. It was postponed due to the Paro, which apparently is being resolved. Before I went, I neglected to mention that I can now make Adobo, that spicy pork soup that I have mentioned. I made it on Sunday and we ate it, and it was good. I need to post this because it’s part of the course work and I completely forgot to talk about it. Soon to come: complete recipe for delicious Adobo.
Enough about ancient history.
During my recent trip to Ilo, (apologies in advance, I didn’t take a camera), I noticed a few things that I found unusual and noteworthy. There was an ambulance with its lights on that entered the road in front of the bus that I was on and it began to race towards the nearest town. This is one of the few times I’ve seen an ambulance, and watched in disbelief as it followed a line of four or so different vehicles NONE OF WHOME LET THE AMBULANCE PASS. Worse still is that the ambulance tried in vain several times to pass but was unable to because of oncoming traffic.

Wow. Not your brightest moment Peru. I am currently shaking an admonishing finger at the drivers on the road to Ilo. Anywho, I rediscovered why I love Ilo so much. It is a port town that reminds me of Valpariso, but a fraction of the size. People in Ilo seem to like me, and as a missionary I ended there and had success, to more reasons to love it. Unfortunately, some people I had hoped to see had moved and some that I saw were no longer active members of the LDS church (or any church for that matter). I ate the best Torta de tres leches (3 milk cake) in Peru (despite what my wife says), at the store called, Ma’ Charito which is owned by the Patriarch. When I was a missionary, Wednesday was free cake day, raising Ilo’s comparison score considerably.
Another point in Ilo’s favor is that it is easy to spell and write in a blog. Not like that other place I recently wrote about with the funny ‘n’ with the squiggly line above it that isn’t on my keyboard.
Another thing that I saw in my travels: if the bus you are traveling on stops for construction or anything really, and many people start getting off and making for the roadside, don’t worry, they are indeed, using the bathroom. Even the ladies (***liberal use of the term alert***). That’s life. Don’t feel embarrassed, in fact, I counsel you to join them. 7 hours on a bus with no bathroom is a long time. Just a tip, make sure you don’t step in the previous bus travelers’ #2. Watch your step, that’s all I’m saying.
Alas, good restaurants in Ilo. In the town proper is Tommy’s, which is around the corner from the plaza, and good parriada. For chifa (Chinese Peruvian food), I would recommend Chif Hoy, which is on the plaza. For you big spenders out there, go about 10 minutes in taxi on the costal road to Tacna and you’ll find Calienta Negros, an expensive restaurant all by itself which is great for everything, especially fish and cordon bleu. The name of Calienta Negros comes from a story that on this particular rocky point, the slave ships bound for Equator and Colombia (and Peru) that had to round the continent used to stop there to let the slaves warm on the rocks for a while. (I suppose this means it was cold in the belly of a slave ship?) That’s the legend anyway, and I’m not sure if it’s true.
Ilo, you can buy shark jaws there, I know I did.

Fui en un viaje, y no a toda prisa, a la OIT. Se pospuso debido a la Paro, que aparentemente se está resolviendo. Antes de irme, me olvidó mencionar que ahora puedo hacer el adobo, que la sopa de carne de cerdo picantes que he mencionado. Lo hice el domingo y lo comía, y era bueno. Tengo que post esto porque es parte del trabajo del curso y me olvidé por completo de hablar de ello. Muy pronto por venir: la receta completa para el adobo delicioso.
Suficiente sobre la historia antigua.
Durante mi reciente viaje a Ilo, (mis disculpas por adelantado, no tomé una cámara), me di cuenta de algunas cosas que encontré insólito y digno de mención. No había una ambulancia con las luces encendidas, que entró en la carretera delante del autobús que estaba en el cual empezó a carrera hacia el pueblo más cercano. Esta es una de las pocas veces que he visto una ambulancia, y observó con incredulidad, ya que siguió una línea de vehículos de cuatro o tan diferente NINGUNA DE whome dejaron pasar la ambulancia PASS. Peor aún es que la ambulancia intentó en vano varias veces para pasar, pero no pudo debido al tráfico en sentido contrario.
...
Wow. ¿No es su momento más brillante Perú. Actualmente estoy moviendo un dedo admonitorio a los conductores en la carretera de Ilo. Anywho, volví a descubrir por qué amo tanto Ilo. Es una ciudad portuaria que me recuerda a Valparaíso, pero una fracción del tamaño. La gente en Ilo me parece que gusta, y como misionero terminé allí y tuvo éxito, a más razones para amarlo. Lamentablemente, algunas personas que yo esperaba ver se había movido y algunos que he visto ya no eran miembros activos de la iglesia LDS (o cualquier iglesia para el caso). Me comí el mejor Torta de tres leches (pastel de 3 de leche) en el Perú (a pesar de lo que dice mi esposa), en la tienda llamada, Charito Ma ', que es propiedad del patriarca. Cuando yo era un día misionero, el miércoles fue pastel gratis, elevando puntuación de Ilo de la comparación considerablemente.
Otro punto a favor de Ilo es que es fácil de deletrear y escribir en un blog. No como este otro que escribió recientemente sobre el "curioso n 'con la línea ondulada encima de lo que no está en mi teclado.
Otra cosa que he visto en mis viajes: si el autobús va a viajar en las paradas para la construcción o cualquier cosa realmente, y mucha gente comienza a recibir apagado y la toma de la carretera, no te preocupes, son de hecho, usar el baño. Incluso las damas (*** uso liberal de la alerta plazo ***). Así es la vida. No se sienta avergonzado, de hecho, yo te aconsejo que unirse a ellos. 7 horas en un autobús sin baño es mucho tiempo. Sólo un consejo, asegúrese de que no se meten en los viajeros de autobús anteriores # 2. Cuidado, eso es todo lo que estoy diciendo.
¡Ay, buenos restaurantes en Ilo. En la ciudad apropiada es Tommy, que está a la vuelta de la plaza, y parriada buena. Para chifa (comida peruana china), le recomendaría CHIF Hoy, que está en la plaza. Para usted grandes gastadores por ahí, vaya unos 10 minutos en taxi en la carretera de la costa de Tacna y encontrarás Calienta Negros, un restaurante caro por sí mismo que es grande para todo, especialmente el pescado y cordon bleu. El nombre de Calienta Negros viene de una historia que en este punto rocoso particular, los barcos de esclavos con destino a Ecuador y Colombia (y Perú) que tenía que ronda el continente utilizado para detenerse en ellos para dejar que los esclavos caliente en las rocas por un tiempo. (Supongo que esto quiere decir que hacía frío en el vientre de un barco de esclavos?) Esa es la leyenda de todos modos, y no estoy seguro si es verdad.
Ilo, usted puede comprar las mandíbulas de tiburón allí, sé que lo hice.

No comments:

Post a Comment