Monday, April 19, 2010

Journal Post

This past weekend was kind of a drag. Not because it wasn't fun and interesting, but because I had planned on traveling to Ilo and Tacna. I was unable to because of a Paro in which hundreds of people have expressed displeasure of a mining proposition in Tia Maria. More on this story here:
http://www.livinginperu.com/news-11984-law-order-police-have-orders-remove-road-blockade-southern-peru

In any event, I went to the bus terminal Friday at 11 with my suitcase, only to be informed that I was silly for the attempt. So, Arequipa bound I was. After the terminal, we went and ate ceviche with my wife's friends, which was tasty. I had a cup of spicy liquid with raw fish in it called 'Leche de Tigre', (Tiger's milk). As nasty as this undoubtedly sounds, it was really good, especially when combined with my fried seafood. That night, we went dancing at a place called Manaya. It was fun, but there were WAY to many people and at midnight, there was no longer any space to dance.

Saturday we ran errands, and I experimented with a fruit that I've never had before. It was atun (cactus), and the lady peeled it for me and everything. I found it good, though nothing to die for.


Aside from those things, I was busy doing homework. Perhaps I will travel to Ilo if the Paro ends soon. We'll see.



Este fin de semana pasado fue una especie de arrastre. No porque no fue muy divertido e interesante, sino porque yo había planeado viaje a Ilo y Tacna. No he podido a causa de un Paro en la que cientos de personas han expresado su descontento de una proposición minería en Tía María. Más sobre esta historia aquí:
http://www.noticiasarequipa.com/new/apoyaran-paro-en-islay-tanto-tacna-y-moquegua

En cualquier caso, fui a la terminal de autobuses el viernes a las 11 con mi maleta, sólo para ser informado de que yo era tonto para el intento. Así pues, obligados Arequipa era yo. Después de la terminal, fuimos y se comió ceviche con amigos de mi esposa, que estaba delicioso. Tenía una taza de líquido picante con pescado crudo, que se llama "leche de tigre", (la leche de tigre). Tan desagradable como este, sin duda, los sonidos, fue realmente bueno, especialmente cuando se combina con mi mariscos fritos. Esa noche, nos fuimos a bailar a un lugar llamado Manaya. Fue divertido, pero había FORMA de muchas personas y en la medianoche, ya no había ningún espacio para bailar.

Sábado nos hacía los mandados, y experimentó con una fruta que nunca he tenido antes. Se atun (cactus), y la señora pelada para mí y para todo. Me pareció buena, aunque nada para morirse. Aparte de esas cosas, yo estaba ocupado haciendo la tarea. Tal vez voy a viajar a Ilo si el Paro finaliza pronto. Vamos a ver.

No comments:

Post a Comment