Thursday, March 25, 2010

CHI CHI CHI, LE LE LE, VIVA CHILE!!!

That's what they yell here at soccer games. Where is "here" you ask? Why, none other than Chile, birthplace of my mother, and country I had to go to this week for visa purposes. You get 90 days in Peru as a tourist and than you have to either leave the country or go to Lima to do some ridiculous paperwork.
ANYWAY.
I got on a bus in Arequipa Friday the 19th at 10:30 am. I got to Vina Del Mar at around 9 am on Sunday. Peru doesn't do Daylight Savings Time, but Chile does. But to complicate things, because of the recent Quake, the Chileans are putting off DST until April. So what that means is that when I crossed the border into Chile, it ceased to be 6 pm and became 8 pm.
Just a note about the scenery between Arequipa and a City in Chile called Coliapo: IT SUCKS. Unless you like sand.



What you can see above is basically what you get for 15+ hours on the bus. Money in Chile is confusing to me. Something that has always bothered me is the enormity of the numbers involved. The current exchange rate is 526 Pesos to each dollar. And the basic unit of money here is 1000 pesos. More to come.

1 comment: