Monday, March 29, 2010

Journal Post, Observation # 9 Chilean food.

About food.
There are many interesting things that I could recount from my week in Chile, but I worry more about food than anything, so here is a short recap of some dishes that I ate Also, upon suggestion of my cousin Roberto, I will attempt to write all further posts in Spanish as well as English.

Sobre comida.
Hay muchas cosas interesantes que pude recalcar de mi semana en Chile, pero preocupo más acerca de comida de cualquier otra cosa, entonces acá tienen a un resumen de algunos platos que probé. También, actuando según la sugerencia de mi primo Roberto, intentare escribir todos anotaciones en español también como ingles.

1) Humitos:


I’ve never had these before but they are basically Tamales. Mashed up corn, cooked wrapped up in the leaves, and some type of herb for seasoning (my Aunt Elba told me the name of the herb, but I have subsequently forgotten.

Nunca antes les he probado, pero básicamente son tamales. Maíz molido, cocinado enrollado de las hojas, y algún tipo de hierba para sazonar. (Mi Tía Elba me dijo el nombre de la hierba, pero ya me lo olvidé.)

2) Empanadas:
I am sure that I cannot get away with calling this a Chilean food, as I have seen them in ample quality elsewhere. But, I can tell you that what the Chileans call Empanada “Pino”, which is beef, egg, olive, and sometimes raisins, is what in Peru they call Empanada Chileno. Which, taking into account the prevalence of this particular combination of foods in the Chilean “pastel de choclo” and other dishes, I attribute this flavor to Chile.

Seguro que no puedo decir que esta es una comida chilena, como les he visto en diversos otros lugares. Pero si puedo decir que en Perú se les llaman empanadas chilenas. Que, tomando en cuento la presencia de esta combinación particular en las comidas de chile como pastel de choclo y otros, atribuyo este sabor a Chile.

3) Meat and Pebre:

Meat, especially beef, is well received and readily devoured by one and all. For the birthday my cousin’s (Diego) son, we ate a delicious meal which consisted of meat, bread, pebre, and of course, Coca Cola. The meat was beef, cooked up in the oven and salty and delicious. The bread in Chile is different than that of Peru, although there is such a variety in both countries that I am sure that you could find some of the same in both. But the common bread in Chile is called “pan batido” in Viña del Mar and “marraqueta” (SP?) in Santiago. It has a somewhat hard crust with at soft interior, is ovalish in shape with a line down the middle. There are lots of other breads, and a principle difference between common breads in Peru and Chile is that the Chile bread is denser and a touch saltier. Pebre is VERY Chilean. It is similar to salsa, but generally not spicy. It is made with chopped onions, tomatoes, and a LOT of cilantro- it is actually greenish in hue. This is applied liberally to bread and meat alike and I like it.

Carne, especialmente res, es bien recibida y devorada con gusto por todos. Por el cumpleaños del hijo de mi Primo Diego, comíamos a una cena delicioso que fue carne, pan, pebre, y presupuesto, Coca Cola. La carne fue res, cocida en el horno y fue salada y rica. La pan de Chile es diferente al pan de Perú, pero hay tanto variedad en las dos países que seguro que podrías encontrar lo mismo en ambas. Pero el pan común de Chile se llama pan batido en Viña del Mar y marraqueta (SP?) en Santiago. Tiene la parte exterior poco duro y es suave por adentro, tiene una forma oval, con una línea partiéndolo en dos. Hay muchos panes en Peru y Chile, pare una diferencia principal es que los panes son mas densos y salados en Chile. Pebre es MUY chileno. Es similar a la salsa, pero por lo general, no es picante. Consiste de cebolla cortada, tomates, y mucho cilantro- ya es verde. Se aplica liberalmente al pan y la carne igual y eso me agrada mucho.

4) Chorrillana:

This is a yummy, yet simple dish. It’s somewhat like the Peruvian dish, “lomo soltado”, but I like it better. It consists of small strips or chunks of beef, chopped onions, some fried eggs (but not many and very subtly mixed in with the meat). This is heaped atop a bunch of French fries. I don’t know what it is exactly, but it’s really tasty for some reason. So much so that I recalled it from when I was 8-years-old and went back to the restaurant, which is an awesome places called J-Cruz that I’ll discuss at length in subsequent posts.

Esto es un plato sencillo, pero rico. Es parecido al plato peruano, lomo soltado, pero esto me gusto más. Es pedazos de res, cebollas picadas, algunos huevos fritos (pero no muchos y sutilmente combinado con la carne). Esto viene encima de un montón de papas fritas. No se que es la razón exactamente por que es tan rico, pero es muy sabroso. Tanto que me acordé de ello de cuando tenía 8 años y volví a este restaurante, que es un lugar muy chévere que se llama J-Cruz y que explicaré mas en anotaciones subsecuentes.

5) Corvina:

Is fish, and it’s pretty dang good. I like it because it is relatively boneless. I had this in La Serena where my cousin Daniel lives that is 7 hours north of Viña by bus. We went out to a restaurant on the beach and that’s where I had my fish dish. It was supposed to be somewhat spicy (although after living in Arequipa the Chilean’s have nothing that can get my tongue). In any event, this corvina was fried, which was fine, but it also came with some large sautéed mushrooms over it with rice. I was reluctant to dive in as I’m not all that big on mushrooms, especially these big ones called ‘sera’. However, I am pleased to say that the whole thing was really good. I love it when I find a new food that I enjoy.

Es pescado, y bien rico. Me gusta porque es de muy pocos espinas. Esto comí en La Serena por donde vive mi primo Daniel y es como a siete horas norte de Viña en bus. Fuimos a un restaurante en la playa y es allí donde comí mi plato pescado. Supuestamente tenia que ser picante (pero después de vivir en Arequipa no hay nada en Chile que puede afectar mi lengua). En todas maneras, esta corvina fue frito, que estaba bien, pero también tenia alguna champiñones encima con arroz. Fue reticente meter mi tenedor, porque no soy de muchos champiñones. Sin embargo, estoy contento decir que todo fue muy rico. Encanto cuanto encuentro nuevo comida que me disfruto.

2 comments: