Friday, March 12, 2010

Journal Post: Observation #8 Dryers

I miss my dryer.
Dryers aren't very common here. In fact, I think that in my whole area of expertise (S. Peru), I think that I have seen two personally. Bummer, because I like when I put my clothes in and then they come out warm and delicious smelling, as opposed to hanging and smelling like the farm animals that live next to us in the outskirts of town. Not to mention, hang drying WRINKLES EVERYTHING. I am no fan of ironing things, but it is a necessary evil. Because there are no dryers, sights like these are fairly common:


Well. That's the way things are. So if you live here, I hope you are lucky enough to have a washing machine, slightly more common than the dryers, but not very. Hand washing to me seems like it takes FOREVER and I would hate to do it. I once had to hand wash my undergarments in a faraway lawless town called Desaguadero for three months. It was a bummer. Another problem with cloths lines, is where do you hand your underwear? Some people have places out of public eye to hang those things, but many just hang them where they can. Makes for some interesting walks in certain parts of town. What is the first thing I do whenever I get back to the states from Peru? I wash ALL of my clothes, and than toss them in the dryer with way more fabric softening sheets than necessary. So if you need me on April 28-29th, I'll be doing laundry.

2 comments:

  1. I also use more dryer sheets than necessary because I love fresh smeilling clothes

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss dryers too. more than i miss taco bell, and thats a lot.

    ReplyDelete